The Department's buildings where the classes take place, the Central Library, the Students Restaurant and the Students Dormitory accommodate disabled persons or persons with reduced mobility.
The "construction of a girls' textile factory on the basis of a will of the late Angeliki Papazoglou", according to the "high firman" of Sultan Abdul Hamid, in 1908, is a continuation of the long tradition in Epirus of benefiting educational institutions. The choice of the neoclassical, official idiom of the Kingdom of Greece, prophetically expresses the expectation of the liberation of Ioannina. It is, at the same time, a modern rupture in the traditional fabric of the Balkan city, in a period of significant urban transformations.
The relocation of the Department of Architecture in Papazogleios building, is part of the strategic plan of the University in terms of its presence in the city of Ioannina. The two-storey neoclassical, with the characteristic front yard, has one large room and four smaller ones on each floor arranged around a large central space. This layout makes the one-thousand-square-foot building ideal for the studio/ lab character of architecture classes. Both the building’s preservation and its location on the city’s historical center are directly related to the basic subjects of the studies of restoration, reuse, architectural and urban design. Inspired by the University’s aim to forge deeper connections with society, the goal of the Department is to provide, communicate and expand architectural education to broader audiences.
The first building of the University Campus houses the Rector's Office, the Secretariats and the Administration. The Department of Architecture locates next to the northeastern atrium. It occupies two lecture rooms of 75 sqm each, a studio space of 110 sqm and the west corridor which also functions as an exhibition hall for student projects.
The Critical Strategies Interdisciplinary Studio-CRISIS of the Department of Architecture, School of Engineering, University of Ioannina focuses on the reearch of interdisciplinary strategic approaches to architecture, the city and cultural heritage. It is based on the distinction between the strategic design approach and the corresponding business tactics. CRISIS aims to strengthen the role of architecture in the design of new policies for space and society through the development of appropriate concepts, methods and tools.
The laboratory follows the following indicative research directions:
CRISIS is directed by Nikolas Patsavos, Associate Professor.
The computer lab is housed in Room 12 of the "Epirus Science and Technology Park", next to the campus. It is equipped with 30 powerful computers, complete with fully licensed software for 2D and 3D drawing, image and video editing .
The fabrication laboratory is housed in Room 12 of the "Epirus Technology and Science Park" and is equipped with various cutting machines and tools, 3D printers and scanners. The main equipment is the Laser CNC milling machine (1.20 x 0.80 m bed size).
The Office of the Registrar is located on the first floor of the Metavatiko Building and occupies two rooms, which serve the administrative staff and the Faculty.
The Department has two collections of books with more than 1360 titles in total.
The large one is housed in the University of Ioannina Central Library building and was created with the donation of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (about 920 titles) and the donation of Dorte Hundahl, widow of Professor Georgios Papakostas (about 250 titles).
A small lending library with more than 200 titles, is hosted at the Office of the Registrar.
UoI Central Library
Department of Architecture Library
Office of the Registrar Books Collection